Skip to content

Advising Frequently Asked Questions

Undergraduate Frequently Asked Questions 

Q: How do I officially declare my major or minor in FCS?
A: Set up an appointment with the advisor here.

Q: How can I get the most current information from the FCS Department about my major?
A: For the most up-to-date information on the department, like and follow the FCS Department on Facebook. It is also recommended you meet with an advisor frequently. 

Q: What is the name of my major that will appear on my diploma?
A: Your major will be one of two: Consumer & Community Studies or Human Development & Family Studies. The Early Childhood or Child Life Emphasis are considered a Human Development and Family Studies major and will be denoted as such on your diploma. Family and Consumer Studies is the name of the department, not the name of your major.

Q: How do I apply for graduation?
A: You need to fill out a graduation application. You will need to meet with your major and minor advisors and have them sign your application. Return the application to the graduation office (250 SSB) before the deadline:

  Spring Graduation November 1 of preceding Fall Semester
  Summer Graduation February 1 or preceding Spring Semester
  Fall Graduation June 1 of preceding Summer Semester

Failure to apply for graduation by the deadline will result in a $25 late fee and may delay your graduation date. Students are able to renew their graduation application once without penalty. For more information on undergraduate graduation, click here

Q: Is there anything that I need to do in the FCS department prior to graduation?
A: You should meet with the advisor to make sure that you have completed all of the major requirements prior to and during your final semester. Upon graduation, please visit our web site and complete our student feedback form for recent graduates.

Q: What should I do if my DARS report says that I need something that my advisor told me is complete?
A: Please contact the FCS advisor.

Q: What is a DARS report and how do I get one?
A: DARS is the Degree Audit Reporting System. The DARS audit is an advising report that shows progress toward a degree. Students can request a degree audit report, at no cost through the Web, for the degree program(s) in which they are enrolled or for degree programs in which they are interested. DARS shows University major and graduation (i.e. general education and university bachelor degree) requirements and which of these requirements the student has already fulfilled and which remain to be completed. Students can print copies and take it with them when they see their academic advisors. Students can obtain their DARS reports through the Campus Information System.

Q: How do I register for a class that asks for a permission code?
A: If you are trying to register for FCS 5311, 5312 or5550, email For any other class, contact the instructor directly. You can also check the seating availability on the class. Attend the first day of class and ask the professor if you can get a permission code. It is possible that some seats may open up, so check the schedule regularly and you may be able to register. 

Q: What is the difference between a B.S. and a B.A.?
A: A B.S. degree requires completion of two upper-division quantitatively intensive courses from an approved list. FCS 3210 Statistics and FCS 3450 Family Economic Issues would fill this requirement for both majors. A B.A. degree requires fourth semester (2020 level) proficiency in a second language.

Q: What courses count as allied hours?
A: Allied hours are hours that are outside of your major, but that relate to your major. Both of our majors accept any classes in the Social and Behavioral Sciences as allied hours as long as they do not double count as general education requirements. FCS classes that don't count for your major will count for allied hours. Other classes outside the Social and Behavioral Sciences may also count as allied hours, but they are major specific. Check with the advisor for details. Your DARS report should also list acceptable departments to take classes from.

Q: What is considered a passing grade for FCS classes?
A: All FCS classes for your major must be taken for a letter grade and you must receive a C- or better for the class to clear major requirements.

Q: Is there any information about employment potential for FCS majors?
A: Visit the Career Services website and select your major.

Additionally, Career Services has a career counselor:

Caroline Peck: (585-5049 or

Last Updated: 10/5/21