You are here:

M.S. Coursework and Requirements

Graduate Home | Why HDSP? | Ph.D. Coursework & Requirements M.S. Coursework & Requirements | Applying To Our Programs | Forms | Careers | Graduate Research | Child Life Track

Coursework & Requirements for the University of Utah's M.S. in Human Development & Social Policy

Enrollment in 9 to 12 credit hours is required each semester for financially supported teaching or research assistants; 3 to 16 for other students.

  • Students choosing the master's thesis option: 34 credit minimum. The master's thesis involves a research study enabling students to gain in-depth understanding of researching methods and how research can benefit society.
  • Students choosing the project option: 37 credit minimum. The master's project option involves a project that could be, but is not limited to, an analysis of the literature on a specific topic, an internship culminating in a project, designing a program, developing curriculum materials, a community-based project, or completion of a graduate certificate.

Allied Courses (Descriptions available from the online catalogue).

Graduate students can earn an optional graduate certificate from the University of Utah in conjunction with their master's degree in Human Development & Social Policy by completing additional requirements.

Certificates available in:

Child Life
Disability Studies


Last Updated: 10/25/18