IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COME FOR AN APPOINTMENT IN PERSON:
If coming for an in person appointment is not possible then schedule a phone appointment. Phone appointments are not optimal for academic advising, but they are the best alternative we have.
- To schedule the appointment start by checking the availability of the advisors above.
- Select a day/time that you will be able to be at a computer and log into Campus Information Systems.
- When scheduling the appointment you will be asked "Are there speciic topics you wish to address during the advising appointment?" please put "PHONE APPT" in this box and then list any topics you wish to discuss. This way the advisor will know to expect a phone call.
- On the day/time of the appointment YOU must initiate the appointment by calling 801-581-6521
- You must create a FERPA PIN BEFORE you call!
How to create a FERPA PIN
- Log into Campus Information System (CIS)
- Find the box labeled "Student Records"
- Click on "FERPA Release Consent"
- Check the box fpr academic advising (third box down)
- Create a PIN (PIN can be letters and/or numbers, no minimum, max of 20 characters. Make this pin something you will remember but also something only you, or those you give it to would know.)
- Enter information of others you would like the advisor to release information to (i.e. a parent or spouse)
- Click the “Save” button
- When you call for your appointment the advisor will verify your PIN to confirm your identity
Our goal is to assist you in achieving your academic and career goals by helping you choose majors and minors and select appropriate courses.
- Advise students regarding the requirements for each of the two department majors.
- Discuss with students the career opportunities for each of the majors.
- Counsel students in class selection and course scheduling in order to effectively fulfill major and minor requirements.
- Inform students about available scholarships.
- Help students understand University and Department policies pertinent to their academic progress.
- Non-majors are welcomed by the advisor who will help them select departmental courses that are appropriate to their academic and career needs.